Awesome Black Vegan – Tumi
• Currently in my final year of Public Management & Governance at North West University (Vaal triangle Campus).
• Events intern at Africa Matters Initiative
Where are you from?
• I have a complex origin story but I am currently based in the Vaal, Vanderbijl Park to be specific.
When did you become vegan and why?
• I fully transitioned into being a vegan on my 23rd birthday which was on the 30th of May 2018.
• This decision was mainly influenced by my partner and being happy with the results I made a personal decision to make veganism my lifestyle.
How has life changed since you became vegan?
• I am healthier and I have been able to redefine what it means to be a living being. I live life to the fullest because I know that the godliness in me is alive.
What challenges do you face as a vegan and how do you overcome them?
• My biggest challenge as a vegan is explaining to other vegans why it’s important to advocate for veganism in a manner that’s inclusive which in essence is intersectional. This means that it is important for vegans to analyse and understand the socio-economic factors of every community before judging and labelling that community as ignorant.
I always say ignorance does not equate stupidity.
What do you enjoy most about being vegan?
• Explaining to everyone why I am at a braai and I’m not indulging in all the meat that has been made for “everyone” then a few hours later when the meat is finished, having everyone complain that there was not enough meat.
What do you see in the future for veganism in Africa?
• Veganism is African meaning I foresee all Africans being vegan as soon as the ignorance in all African communities has been eradicated.
What’s your favourite meal/food?
• Homemade Wraps with Avocado paste and mushroom spinach for the filling.
Anything else you would like to say?
“To everyone who is annoyed with vegans, it’s not you, it’s your conscience” – unknown
Where can people reach you on the networks?
Thanks to you too Sistah Tumi for making the time to share your awesomeness with us! We are truly humbled and gratefully appreciate it!
If you’re Black, Vegan and you’d like for us to profile you to share your journey with our people out here looking for that inspiration towards the vegan lifestyle, please hit us up via email and we’ll connect.
Before you go elsewhere on the site, what are your thoughts on this post? Let us know on the comment section! Please also subscribe to our newsletter and share on your social media pages!
We’ll stay in touch!